I actually assume, actually consider that when you go to any family in India, you’ll find Aloo (Potato) at any given cut-off date, all 12 months spherical. It’s only a very helpful veggie for all of us. Considerably related is the case of Curd (or dahi yogurt). When mixed in a single recipe, it outcomes on this scrumptious Dahi Aloo or Dahi Wale Aloo which is nothing however potatoes simmered in a tangy spiced yogurt sauce. You possibly can name it as an Aloo Kadhi, because it has gram flour too. It’s easy, straightforward and scrumptious.
About Dahi Aloo
Dahi Wale Aloo or just Dahi Aloo is a household particular recipe, from my in-laws’ aspect. Thus, this can be a Punjabi fashion curry dish, the place you simply need to boil the potatoes. Getting ready the yogurt sauce is definitely a fast course of. I normally make it as a fast aspect gravy dish with roti or steamed rice.
This Dahi Wale Aloo additionally has besan (gram flour) as one of many elements. Therefore, tastes lots like a kadhi. The distinction is that this one makes use of a vegetable whereas the normal Punjabi Kadhi has fried Onion Pakoda in it paired along with distinctive spices and herbs.
Along with the aloo and dahi, different elements of this Dahi Wale Aloo recipe are fairly primary like onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, inexperienced chilies, spice powders and seasonings. Whereas utilizing the yogurt, I’d recommend you employ contemporary curd, ideally do-it-yourself one.
Dahi Wali Arbi and Dahi Bhindi are two extra recipes which have greens cooked in related yogurt sauces. Each are a private favourite and a beloved one at my residence. The second you attempt these, you’ll too be hooked on these.
Steamed rice, roti or chapati are your standard choices to pair with Dahi Wale Aloo. You possibly can add peas pulao and jeera rice too on this checklist.
Learn how to make Dahi Wale Aloo
1. Rinse and boil/steam 300 grams (3 medium to massive) potatoes until they’re utterly cooked. You possibly can prepare dinner them in a 3 litre stovetop stress cooker for 3 to 4 whistles including 2 cups water.
Alternatively select to steam or prepare dinner potatoes in a steamer or electrical cooker or On the spot Pot including water as wanted.
When the stress drops naturally within the cooker, then solely open the lid. Rigorously take away the boiled potatoes with tongs. Set the potatoes apart to chill on a plate.
2. In one other bowl, take 1 cup contemporary curd/yogurt and whisk until clean. Completely set do-it-yourself Curd is healthier.
3. Add 2 to 2.5 tablespoons gram flour (besan).
4. Subsequent, add 1.5 cups water and whisk to a clean slurry utilizing a small wired whisk. There must be no lumps of gram flour. Maintain apart.
5. When the potatoes are nonetheless heat, peel them. Crumble and preserve apart.
Make Dahi Aloo
6. In a pan, warmth 2 tablespoons oil and add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Sauté on low to medium-low warmth until the cumin seeds crackle and alter shade.
7. Then, add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
8. Sauté until the onions flip translucent on low to medium-low warmth.
9. Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon finely chopped inexperienced chilies. Stir and sauté for half a minute on low warmth.
10. Subsequent, add 7 to eight curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). Sauté on low warmth for about half a minute.
11. Now, add ⅓ cup finely chopped tomatoes.
12. Stir properly to combine.
13. Sauté on medium-low to medium warmth until the tomatoes turn out to be pulpy and also you see the oil leaving sides of the masala.
14. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon crimson chili powder and ½ teaspoon coriander powder.
Should you desire, you’ll be able to spice the gravy extra by including ¼ to ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder. Combine and stir very properly.
15. Now, add the boiled crumbled potatoes.
16. Stir and sauté for about 2 minutes.
17. Maintain the warmth to low or swap off the warmth and add the curd and gram flour slurry.
18. As quickly as you add the curd slurry, stir rapidly to mix and blend every thing.
19. Stir to combine totally.
20. Simmer the gravy for 8 to 10 minutes on low warmth. If the gravy turns into thick, then you’ll be able to add some water. Stir just a few instances whereas the sauce is simmering.
21. Then, add salt as per style.
22. Stir to combine after which add ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
23. Stir once more and swap off the warmth. Add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
- As a lot as potential, use contemporary do-it-yourself curd for this recipe. Guarantee that the curd will not be too tangy or bitter.
- Use a stovetop stress cooker or steamer or electrical cooker or On the spot pot to prepare dinner the potatoes. Peel and crumble them when nonetheless heat. Watch out although.
- The gram flour and yogurt slurry combination must be whisked until clean. It should not have any lumps in it. So use a wired whisk whereas making the yogurt slurry.
- In order for you, you’ll be able to have a spicier curry by rising the crimson chili powder amount or add extra inexperienced chillies.
- For a richer model of this dish, decide to shallow fry or deep fry chopped uncooked potatoes till gentle golden. Add these fried potatoes on the identical step the place the boiled potatoes are added.
- If the sauce turns into too thick whereas simmering, add some water to skinny the consistency barely.
Please make sure to charge this recipe within the recipe card beneath when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Dahi Aloo Recipe | Dahi Wale Aloo
Dahi Aloo is scrumptious recipe of potatoes simmered in spiced and tangy yogurt sauce. It is usually referred to as Dahi Wale Aloo and is finest served with roti, chapati or steamed rice.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Complete Time 45 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse after which boil/steam potatoes until they’re utterly cooked.
- You possibly can prepare dinner them in a 3 litre stovetop stress cooker with 2 cups water for 3 to 4 whistles. Or select to steam them in an On the spot Pot or steamer pan or electrical cooker including water as wanted.
When the stress drops by itself within the cooker, then solely take away the lid. Rigorously take away the potatoes with a pair of tongs and put aside to chill.
When the potatoes are nonetheless heat, peel them. Crumble and preserve apart.
In one other bowl, take the contemporary curd or dahi (yogurt) and whisk until clean.
Add 2 to 2.5 tablespoons of besan (gram flour).
Subsequent add 1.5 cups water and whisk this combination until clean. There must be no tiny lumps of gram flour on this slurry combination
Chop the onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and inexperienced chilies finely.
Making dahi aloo
In a pan warmth 2 tbsp oil and add cumin seeds. Fry on low warmth until the cumin seeds crackle and alter shade.
Then add finely chopped onions.
Stirring usually sauté onions on low to medium-low warmth until the onions flip translucent and are softened.
Add finely chopped ginger, finely chopped garlic and finely chopped inexperienced chilies. Stir and sauté for half a minute on low to medium-low warmth.
Subsequent add curry leaves and asafoetida. Sauté on low to medium-low warmth for about half a minute.
Now add finely chopped tomatoes.
Stir and saute on medium-low to medium warmth or until the tomatoes turn out to be pulpy and also you see oil leaving sides of the masala combination.
Add turmeric powder, crimson chili powder and coriander powder. For a spicier gravy add ¼ to ½ teaspoon extra of the crimson chili powder. Stir and blend very properly.
Now add the boiled crumbled potatoes. Stir and sauté for about 2 minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
Maintain the flame to a low or flip off the warmth after which add the curd and gram flour slurry.
As quickly as you add the curd slurry, stir instantly. Stir and blend totally.
Simmer the gravy for 8 to 10 minutes on a low warmth. If the gravy turns into thick, then you’ll be able to add some water.
Season with salt as per style.
Stir to combine after which add garam masala powder and a couple of tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Swap off the warmth.
Lastly, stir and serve Dahi Aloo with both chapati or roti or steamed rice. It additionally goes very properly with cumin rice or peas pulao.
- To make recipes like these that makes use of curd or dahi, it’s best to make use of contemporary do-it-yourself curd.
- For a extra fancier and richer model of the recipe, you’ll be able to select to shallow fry or deep fry uncooked potato cubes till gentle golden, as an alternative of boiling or steaming them.
- To thicken the yogurt sauce gram flour is used. In case you are not a fan of gram flour, attempt utilizing cornflour (cornstarch) or rice flour or tapioca flour. However take into account that the style of the dish might be completely different if you use these flours.
Dahi Aloo Recipe | Dahi Wale Aloo
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 249 Energy from Fats 117
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 9g
Ldl cholesterol 11mg4%
Vitamin A 367IU7%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 28mg140%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg20%
Vitamin B12 0.3µg5%
Vitamin C 71mg86%
Vitamin D 0.1µg1%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 5µg5%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 324µg81%
* % Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Dahi Aloo recipe submit from the weblog archives first revealed in June 2015 has been republished and up to date on 14 July 2022.