Name it Brinji Rice, Brinji Sadam or simply Brinji, it doesn’t change the truth that this delicacy from the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu goes to be probably the most flavorful and straightforward approach you’ll be able to have a satisfying one-pot vegan meal. Dunk rice, an earthy floor inexperienced masala paste, some veggies, entire spices and coconut milk in a pot, and wait until it simmers into this stunning filling dish. You actually gained’t want anything to go along with it as it’s so scrumptious by itself.
About Brinji Rice
The Brinji Rice is called so, because the recipe makes use of tej patta, which is named as ‘brinji elai’ in Tamil or you’ll be able to even name it as brinji leaf. One more reason could be that the dish could have its roots in Persian delicacies, as ‘rice’ is named as ‘berenj’ that aspect of the world.
This one pot vegetable Brinji Rice is simply the reply you’ve been on the lookout for on days while you actually don’t need to spend hours and hours within the kitchen, but have one thing tasty in your meals.
Additionally, you’ll be able to’t miss out on the diet issue with this dish because it has so many veggies, coconut milk and spices that are healthful to your well being.
The Brinji Sadam is a beautiful rice-based dish filled with flavors and textures from the spices, herbs, coconut milk and different components. One bowl of this rice, and also you’ll expertise the facility that it has to consolation your palate and soul, fairly immediately!
Extra on my recipe
In my recipe of the Brinji Rice, I’ve used basmati rice. However you’ll be able to even use the seeraga samba number of rice which can be a most popular kind in Tamil Nadu. With the greens, add no matter your coronary heart needs for. As it’s at all times the extra, the merrier. You may even make it with out including any veggies.
For the liquids, I at all times add coconut milk to the rice. Coconut milk offers a richness to the dish. However for those who wouldn’t have it readily available, use water or vegetable inventory as a substitute.
To get in some variation, you’ll be able to choose so as to add fried cashews, raisins, onions and even croutons (fried bread cubes) as a garnish ultimately.
This additionally makes it a richer model. Although, I like my Brinji Rice so simple as it could possibly be. So, I don’t actually go experimenting with it.
One of the simplest ways to cook dinner this Brinji Sadam shortly is to make use of a stress cooker or prompt pot. Utilizing that, it’s possible you’ll actually have a meal prepared inside minutes.
Nevertheless, if in case you have time in hand, go for a heavy pan or pot to cook dinner this rice. Utilizing these will certainly let the flavors amalgamate in a greater approach.
Since this rice dish is full by itself, it’s not necessary to pair it with some accompaniment. However nonetheless for those who want to, you’ll be able to serve it sizzling with a boondi raita, onion raita or cucumber raita.
Methods to make Brinji Rice
1. Rinse 1.5 cups basmati rice very effectively in water until the water runs away from starch. Then, soak it in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour.
I’ve used basmati rice however you possibly can choose to make use of any shorter or medium grained aromatic number of non-sticky rice.
You probably have seeraga samba rice, do use it to make the brinji rice recipe. However bear in mind so as to add water as wanted whereas cooking.
2. After 20 to half-hour, drain all of the water and set the rice apart.
Make Inexperienced Masala Paste
3. In the meantime, in a small grinder jar, take the beneath listed components:
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 2 to three chopped inexperienced chilies or 1 to 2 teaspoons, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated recent coconut (non-obligatory), swap with desiccated coconut or frozen coconut, if out of recent coconut
4. Add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 inexperienced cardamoms and ½ teaspoon fennel seeds.
5. Add 4 to five tablespoons water and grind to a easy and high quality masala paste. Don’t add an excessive amount of of water and make a skinny, runny masala paste.
Sauté Spices and Veggies
6. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a 3 liter stress cooker. You may as well use ghee as a substitute of oil. Add 1 massive tej patta or 2 to three small tej patta.
7. Instantly, add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves and 1 inexperienced cardamom.
8. Fry spices for just a few seconds or until they turn out to be aromatic.
9. Then, add ½ cup sliced onions.
10. Combine and start to sauté onions on medium-low warmth.
11. Sauté onions until they flip translucent or gentle brown.
12. Then, add ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes.
13. Combine effectively and start to sauté tomatoes on medium-low warmth.
14. Sauté tomatoes until they soften.
15. Now, add the ready inexperienced masala paste.
16. Combine very effectively and start to sauté masala on low warmth.
17. Sauté stirring typically until you see oil releasing from the perimeters of the masala paste or oil specks seen on the high of the inexperienced masala.
18. Then, add the veggies listed beneath:
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped cauliflower florets
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ chopped potatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped capsicum (inexperienced bell pepper)
- ⅓ cup inexperienced peas
- ¼ cup chopped french beans
19. Combine very effectively and sauté for a minute.
Make Brinji Rice
20. Add the soaked rice.
21. Gently combine rice grains with the greens.
22. Now, add 2 cups coconut milk. I’ve used Do-it-yourself Coconut Milk right here.
23. Add ½ cup water. In the event you use very thick coconut milk just like the packaged or canned ones, then add ¾ cup water.
24. Season with salt as required.
25. Stir and blend effectively. Examine the style of water and it needs to be barely salty. If not, then add some extra salt.
26. Stress cook dinner on medium warmth for 8 minutes or 1 to 2 whistles.
27. When the stress settles down naturally, open the lid of the cooker.
28. Gently fluff the rice and blend in order that the highest coconut milk layer will get blended evenly with the underside rice layer. Combine gently and don’t overdo mixing.
Whereas serving, you’ll be able to garnish Brinji Sadam with just a few mint leaves or coriander leaves. Some fried cashews, fried raisins or fried bread cubes may also be added as a garnish.
- Whereas making the inexperienced masala paste, use can use desiccated coconut as an alternative choice to recent coconut. Additionally, the coconut milk is the bottom of this dish and is what enhances the flavors. You may’t actually skip on that.
- I recommend utilizing selfmade coconut milk for a greater outcome. The amount of the water additionally will rely in whether or not you might be utilizing selfmade coconut milk or a thick packaged one. If utilizing the latter one, enhance the water amount.
- When the rice is cooked, fluff it gently in order that it evenly mixes with the coconut milk layer. Be certain to combine gently and never over combine the rice.
- My alternative of greens are cauliflower, capsicum, potato, carrot, inexperienced peas and french beans. You may have your most popular record too. Alternatively, you’ll be able to even make a plain Brinji Sadam with none veggies in it.
- In the event you don’t have inexperienced chilies, use purple chili powder as a substitute. Nevertheless, doing so would possibly alter the colour of the ultimate dish.
- An alternative to chopped ginger and garlic is ginger-garlic paste. Cook dinner the rice in ghee or oil, your alternative.
- Garnish choices embody fried raisins, fried cashews, fried onions or fried bread cubes. Some recent mint or coriander can be good on this rice.
Please make sure you fee this recipe within the recipe card beneath if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Brinji Rice Recipe | Brinji Sadam
Brinji Rice additionally known as Brinji Sadam is a scrumptious one pot dish made with spices, herbs, coconut milk, rice and blend veggies. A particular rice dish from the state of Tamil Nadu.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
For soaking rice
Rinse basmati rice very effectively in water until the water runs away from starch. Then soak rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour.
After 20 to half-hour, drain all of the water and preserve apart.
In a small grinder jar take chopped coriander leaves, chopped mint leaves, inexperienced chilies, chopped ginger, chopped garlic and grated coconut.
Add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 inexperienced cardamoms and ½ teaspoon fennel seeds.
Add 4 to five tablespoons water and grind to a high quality and easy inexperienced masala paste. Put aside.
Making brinji rice
Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a 3 litre stress cooker. You may as well use ghee as a substitute of oil.
First add tej patta. Instantly add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves and 1 inexperienced cardamom.
Fry spices for just a few seconds until they turn out to be fragrant.
Then add ½ cup sliced onions. Stir and blend.
Stirring typically, sauté onions until they flip translucent or gentle brown on medium-low to medium warmth.
Then add ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes. Combine effectively and start to sauté tomatoes on medium-low warmth until they soften.
Now add the bottom inexperienced masala paste. Combine once more and start to sauté masala on a low warmth until you see oil releasing from the perimeters of the masala paste or while you see oil specks on the high of the masala.
Then add all the chopped veggies. Combine very effectively and sauté veggies for a minute on low to medium-low warmth.
Then add the rice. Gently combine rice grains with the veggies.
Now add 2 cups of coconut milk.
Add ½ cup of water. In the event you use very thick coconut milk, then add ¾ cup water.
Season with salt as required. stir and blend effectively. Examine the style of water and it needs to be barely salty. If not, then add some extra salt.
Stress cook dinner on medium warmth for 8 minutes or 1 to 2 whistles. When stress drops down by itself, open the lid of the cooker.
Gently fluff the rice and blend in order that the highest coconut milk layer will get blended evenly with the underside rice layer. Combine gently and don’t over do.
Serve veg Brinji Rice with any raita of your alternative.
- Swap basmati rice with seeraga samba rice or your most popular aromatic rice. Add water as wanted when utilizing these rice variants.
- Be happy to incorporate veggies that you simply like or you possibly can choose to make the recipe with none greens.
- For the inexperienced masala paste, for those who wouldn’t have recent coconut, then omit including it.
- For the cauliflower, blanch it in sizzling salted water for five minutes if it has worms or bugs. Drain the water and rinse cauliflower once more.
- As an alternative of coconut milk, you’ll be able to cook dinner the rice grains in water or vegetable inventory.
Brinji Rice Recipe | Brinji Sadam
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 657 Energy from Fats 324
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 23g144%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 10g
Vitamin A 3147IU63%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg20%
Vitamin C 38mg46%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Okay 15µg14%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 58µg15%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Brinji Rice recipe put up from the archives first revealed in December 2017 has been republished and up to date on 17 July 2022.