If there’s yet another integral dish of the Indian avenue meals tradition, it’s the Aloo Tikki. Made with aloo (potatoes), spices and herbs these crispy, crusty and oh-so-good tikki (patties) are cherished simply as it’s or as a part of different preparations like a chaat, and so forth. This publish has the essential Aloo Tikki recipe, plus I’ve perked it up with a savory inexperienced peas stuffing (that may be simply given a miss). These completely spiced and herby potato patties are scrumptious, however the addition of inexperienced peas solely makes them higher.
About Aloo Tikki
An Aloo Tikki is often fashionable in North India the place it’s bought on avenue carts and loved by all as a delicious avenue meals. The road type Aloo Tikki recipe often has a savory filling of inexperienced peas or Paneer or chana dal, and is served with Chana Masala or a spicy chickpea curry or chole.
All of that is lastly topped generously with chopped onions, candy tamarind chutney and fiery inexperienced coriander chutney. Typically, even curd/dahi (Indian yogurt) can also be added to lead to a dish, bursting with flavors and textures.
While you’re attempting this Aloo Tikki recipe at house, you may clearly skip on the stuffing and go forward with the plain Aloo Tikki. These potato patties made with out the inexperienced peas stuffing additionally tastes spectacular.
The Aloo Tikki will get a makeover within the type of Aloo Pattice in Western India, the place the potato patties are usually made with none filling. Nonetheless, the strategy of getting ready these patties are related with slight variations within the spices added.
The way to make Aloo Tikki
Prepare dinner Potatoes and Inexperienced Peas
1. The potatoes and inexperienced peas should be cooked collectively first. You may decide to not cook dinner the inexperienced peas.
On this case, solely cook dinner the potatoes utilizing both of the strategy listed under or you may cook dinner potatoes in a pan or pot including water as wanted.
a) Cooking in stress cooker on stovetop: In a 3 or 4 liter stress cooker, take 4 to five massive potatoes and a couple of.5 cups water. Place a small trivet and maintain a bowl containing ½ cup inexperienced peas in it. Stress cook dinner for five to six whistles on medium to medium-high warmth.
b) Cooking in Instantaneous Pot: Place 4 to five massive potatoes within the metal insert of a 6 quart Instantaneous Pot. Add 2.5 cups water. Place a small trivet. On high of the trivet, maintain a small bowl containing ½ cup inexperienced peas. Stress cook dinner on excessive for 20 to 25 minutes.
It’s also possible to place the trivet that comes together with your Instantaneous Pot. First add 2.5 cups water. Preserve the potatoes and the bowl stuffed with inexperienced peas on the trivet.
2. For the stress cooker, take away the lid solely after the stress settles naturally.
For Instantaneous Pot, do a fast stress launch after 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Examine with a knife or fork to see if the potatoes are cooked properly and tender. The knife or fork ought to have the ability to slid simply if the potatoes are cooked correctly.
If the potatoes are undercooked, then cook dinner them for some extra minutes.
Make Inexperienced Peas Stuffing
4. Drain the water from the steamed inexperienced peas utilizing a small strainer or colander. Take the peas in a bowl and mash them.
5. Mash to a rough texture.
6. To the peas, add the next elements:
- ¼ teaspoon purple chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (floor coriander)
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder (floor fennel)
- ½ teaspoon dried mango powder or ¼ to ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped inexperienced chilies
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 2 pinches black salt and common salt as per style
7. Combine very properly. Examine style and add extra salt if wanted.
Make Potato Combination
8. Once you drain the inexperienced peas, drain the water from the potatoes as properly and allow them to turn out to be heat.
Don’t maintain them within the sizzling water because the potatoes might find yourself soaking the water and turn out to be soggy. Ensure that all of the water is totally drained.
9. When the potatoes are heat, peel them and grate. I discover it simpler to grate the potatoes after which mash them. Nonetheless, you may also chop them and mash with a potato masher.
Let the grated or mashed potatoes cool fully to room temperature. You may even maintain the potatoes within the fridge for half-hour.
10. After the mashed potatoes have cooled fully, add the next elements to it:
- ½ teaspoon purple chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder or curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder or ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon black salt and common salt as per style
11. Subsequent, add ¼ cup breadcrumbs and ¼ cup arrowroot flour.
As a substitute of arrowroot flour, you may decide so as to add rice flour, cornflour (cornstarch), tapioca starch or roasted gram flour (roasted besan).
12. Combine the whole lot very properly.
Assemble and Make Aloo Patties
13. Divide the potato combination into small or medium formed patties with a hole heart or cup formed discs. You may apply some oil in your palms when making the patties or tikki.
14. Place the inexperienced peas stuffing within the heart.
15. Deliver the mashed potato edges on the highest and seal them.
16. Roll gently between your palms and flatten. Make all tikkis this fashion.
Fry Aloo Tikki
17. Warmth 2 tablespoons oil on a skillet, tawa or frying pan until it’s medium sizzling. Gently place the tikkis and start to pan-fry them.
18. When the bottom is crispy and golden, gently flip every tikki with a spatula.
19. Fry the second facet until crispy and golden. You may gently flip a few times extra until the tikkis are golden and crisp evenly.
20. Take away and place in a strainer saved on high of a bowl. You may even drain them on paper towels. Fry in batches all tikkis this fashion.
Add 2 tablespoons extra oil when frying the second batch.
21. Serve sizzling Aloo Tikki with coriander chutney and tamarind chutney. It’s also possible to serve these potato patties with candy yogurt raita.
This recipe will yield 6 massive potato tikki. You may select to make medium or large-sized tikki in accordance with your preferences.
The recipe is well scaleable to make for small or massive servings. For those who double the recipe, then use a big skillet to pan fry the patties or you might use two skillets or tawa for frying.
When doubling the recipe, take note so as to add extra of the binding elements if wanted. These will differ with the sort and high quality of potatoes.
What extra with Aloo Tikki
Apart from serving this Aloo Tikki with yogurt, chutneys and spice blends, the way in which it’s historically served in cities in Northern India, listed here are a couple of enjoyable and equally tasty concepts that this Aloo Tikki recipe might be reworked to.
- Aloo Tikki Chaat – This a mouth-watering mélange of spicy, candy, bitter and tangy flavors as is all the time in a chaat. Considerably just like how an Aloo Tikki is recurrently served on North Indian streets.
- Aloo Tikki Chole – A double bonanza for all those that love their potato tikkis in addition to can’t ever get sufficient of the uber important Punjabi Chole or chana masala. Fried tikkis topped with spicy chickpea curry, chutneys, crunchy onions, chaat masala and sev; there’s nothing that you’ll not like on this dish!
- Aloo Tikki Burger – So, this one dives straight into the fusion world. With potato tikkis between burger buns, this very Indianized burger will probably be a success together with your children. Attempt it!
- Frankie – A Frankie is kind of a tasty model of a roll, fairly frankly! Use the Aloo Tikki recipe to make the primary stuffing on this recipe and also you’re all set. This additionally will get made with complete wheat flour wrap. So, there’s a nutritious angle to it as properly.
- Potatoes: Attempt to use potatoes that aren’t very gluey or sticky. Starchy potatoes are your greatest guess. Ideally make the patties with older potatoes or russet potatoes. Don’t use new potatoes.
- Stuffing: The spiced inexperienced peas stuffing might be given a skip. You may even use steamed candy corn, grated cottage cheese or paneer and cooked break up chickpeas/chana dal instead of the inexperienced peas. Ensure that the corn or chana dal are cooked properly and stay separate with out being pasty or mushy.
- Binding: Including a binding agent is all the time a good suggestion, because it helps to maintain the tikkis in form, crisp them up and never crumble whereas frying. For a really crispy Aloo Tikki, utilizing breadcrumbs is a superb thought. So, I favor a mixture of breadcrumbs and arrowroot flour in my Aloo Tikki recipe. You should utilize both.
Additionally, cool the potatoes fully earlier than including any thickener. Or else, the combination will flip right into a sticky mass of potatoes.
- Binding elements: As a substitute of arrowroot flour, you may even use cornstarch, rice flour, roasted besan (chickpea flour or gram flour), tapioca starch and potato starch. However don’t miss on the breadcrumbs as they assist in getting a pleasant crunchy crust on the patties.
- Leftover bread slices: If in case you have leftover bread, then you are able to do this. After soaking the slices in water, squeeze properly and add to the aloo. The bread turns into the binding agent on this case.
- Herbs and spices: Relying in your palate, reduce or add extra of the herbs and spice powders. Recent mint leaves and chaat masala powder additionally improve the flavors of the tikki.
- Crumbing: You may crumb coat the patties previous to frying them. Historically, we don’t crumb coat aloo tikki.
- Crispiness: You may twice fry the patties for extra crispiness. Start by frying the patties until a pale golden shade on them is achieved. Take away and put aside to turn out to be heat or cool. End by frying once more until golden and crisp.
- For fasting: In case you determine to make these aloo tikki for Hindu vrat (fasting) days, use solely arrowroot flour, water chestnut flour, tapioca flour or buckwheat flour. Additionally, instead of common salt, add edible rock salt.
- Freezing: After shaping these Indian potato patties, you may retailer them in a sealed container or zip lock bag and freeze them. Thaw the frozen patties earlier than frying them.
Please be sure you price this recipe within the recipe card under when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Aloo Tikki Recipe (Indian Potato Patties)
Aloo Tikki is a well-liked North Indian avenue meals snack of savory, spiced and crispy potato patties. A primary Aloo Tikki Recipe is made with potatoes, spices, herbs, breadcrumbs or a binding flour and might be full of a filling of mashed cooked inexperienced peas or cooked chana dal or paneer.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
For cooking potatoes and inexperienced peas
Different elements for stuffing
Components for potato patties
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Cooking in Stovetop Stress Cooker
- In a 3 or 4 litre stovetop stress cooker take 4 to five massive potatoes and a couple of.5 cups water. Place a small trivet and maintain a bowl containing ½ cup inexperienced peas in it. Stress cook dinner for five to six whistles on medium to medium-high flame.Take away the cooker’s lid after all of the stress falls naturally within the cooker.
Making inexperienced peas stuffing
Drain the water from the steamed inexperienced peas utilizing a small strainer or colander. Take the peas in a bowl and mash them.
Mash to a rough texture.
To the peas, add purple chilli powder or cayenne pepper, coriander powder, fennel powder, dry mango powder, finely chopped ginger, inexperienced chillies, coriander leaves, black salt and common salt as per style.
Combine very properly. Examine style and add extra salt or the bottom spice powders if required.
Making potato patty combination
In the meantime drain the water from the potatoes as properly and allow them to turn out to be heat.
- When the potatoes are heat, then peel them and grate. I discover it simpler to grate the potatoes after which mash them. Nonetheless, you may chop them first and mash with a potato masher. Let the grated or mashed potatoes cool fully.
After the mashed potatoes have cooled fully, add the next elements: purple chilli powder or cayenne pepper, garam masala powder or curry powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder, black salt and common salt as per style.
- Subsequent add bread crumbs and arrowroot flour. As a substitute of arrowroot flour, you may also add rice flour, corn flour (corn starch) or tapioca starch or roasted besan (roasted chickpea flour or roasted gram flour).
Combine the whole lot completely.
Stuffing and Shaping Aloo Tikki
- Divide the combination into small or medium formed patties with a hole heart or cup formed discs. Select to use some oil in your palms as it’s simpler to form and stuff them.
Place the inexperienced peas filling within the heart.
Deliver the mashed potato edges on the highest and seal them.
Roll gently between your palms and gently flatten. Make all aloo tikki this fashion.
Frying Aloo Tikki
Warmth 2 tablespoons oil until on a skillet or tawa or frying pan until it’s medium sizzling. Gently place the tikki and start to pan-fry them.
When the bottom is crispy and golden, gently flip every tikki with a spatula.
Fry the second facet until crispy and golden. You may gently flip a few times extra until the aloo tikki are golden and crisp evenly.
- Take away and place in a strainer saved on high of a bowl. You may even drain them on paper towels. In batches fry all the potato patties this fashion. Add 2 tablespoons extra oil when frying the second batch.
Serve Aloo Tikki plain with coriander chutney and tamarind chutney. It’s also possible to serve these potato patties with candy yogurt raita or tomato ketchup.
- Potatoes: Attempt to use starchy potatoes like russet potatoes. Don’t use new potatoes.
- If making aloo tikki for fasting – Add arrowroot flour or buckwheat flour or water chestnut flour or sago flour. Use edible rock salt, as a substitute of normal salt.
- Spices & Herbs: You may cut back or enhance the bottom spices and herbs. A variation is so as to add recent mint leaves to the patties. You may even add chaat masala.
- Crispiness: You may twice fry the tikki. First fry until pale golden. Then once more fry until crispy and golden.
- Stuffing: The spiced inexperienced peas stuffing might be given a skip. It’s also possible to swap inexperienced peas with steamed candy corn, grated paneer and cooked chana dal (break up chickpeas).
- Binding Components: Add the binding elements which you’ve got in your pantry. So instead of arrowroot flour you may add cornstarch, rice flour, roasted besan (roasted chickpea flour), tapioca starch, potato starch or soaked bread slices. However don’t skip on breadcrumbs as they help make a pleasant crispy crust on the aloo tikki.
- Servings: Recipe makes 6 massive tikki. You may make then medium sized or massive. Select to halve or double the recipe simply.
Aloo Tikki Recipe (Indian Potato Patties)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 202 Energy from Fats 90
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 8g
Vitamin A 514IU10%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin B12 0.01µg0%
Vitamin C 23mg28%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Ok 22µg21%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 30µg8%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Aloo Tikki recipe publish from the archives first printed in August 2009 has been republished and up to date on 16 July 2022.